Sunday, 28 October 2012

Pubs of Old Baldock: The Boot - The Beehive/ Swan - The Arrow - The Crown and Anchor.

The Beehive/ The Swan

? High Street

The Beehive was a pub that formerly stood on the corner of Pinnocks Lane on the High Street, close to the building of todays Boot. Open for buisness since some point, it can be assumed, in the 18th or 19th Century, and dating back to when this old pub was instead known as the Swan.
 It closed as licensed premises sometime at the beginning of the 20th Century, and from here on, It's derelict remains were still to be seen, and even as recently as the 1980's, before it was completly demolished, and rebuilt as the cottage that stands today.

Mentioned by the author John Rider in his book 'Baldock - More Knights in it's Days', in which the Beehives former landlady is suggested to have been the orginator of naming one of Baldocks Lanes. The lane was the old Caldwells Lane and although different information may suggest otherwise, it was apparently named Pinnocks Lane by a one Deborah Robins Pinnock.  Part of a large Baldock family (the Pinnocks) who in the 18th & 19th Century owned several Baldock properties.


The Arrow

? High Street

The Arrow was a former beer house and shop that once stood in one of the cottages between the pre–1920’s Boot pub and the junction between the High Street and Pinnocks Lane. Possibly named after the legendary giant Jack O’ legs, who was said to have fired an arrow from Baldock’s St. Marys Church to the site where he was allegedly buried in the neighbouring village of Weston.



The Boot

73 High St.

Mentioned in the will of Joyce Fox from Hatfield dated 1748:
"Known by the name or sign of ‘the Boot’ next the almshouse".

The Boot is documented as being bought on bankruptcy of its previous owner by J. and T.G. Simpson the Baldock Brewers in 1865. 

The building of the current Public House was built along with other re-developments to the area in the 1920’s. Although the former building was a lot smaller, and stood in line with a row of small cottages, also now demolished. 

Beside the newly built Boot was the site of a new to the area Roman Catholic Church.  Which oddly enough was never opened to the public, and finally in the 1970’s demolished completely. 

It was however rebuilt around the corner and still sits in this place, around the site of the once standing Crown and Anchor.

Improvements to the current building include the west wing being rebuilt after being hit by a runaway lorry in 1984 and from previously being separated into two bars and a games room, the unification into the one room that now stands.



Picture taken from early 20th Century.


The Crown & Anchor

At High Street in 1839, Weston Road in 1882

In the 1800's, perhaps even before, a pub stood in Baldock around the site of the current Catholic Church on the London Road/ High Street roundabout. It closed at some point before 1920, and its name was the Crown and Anchor, or rather just The Anchor.

Visited in 1917 by a family interested in buying the premises, an incident mentioned in the 1978 Baldock Mail. The then little girl visiting the old anchor recalls her father journeying down into the pubs quite large cellar and finding an old tunnel. In the tunnel the family travelled through till the lamp they was holding mysteriously blew out and after scarcely leaving declined on the offer to buy the old pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment